Sunday, November 16, 2008

The lighting story.

The new deck and Christmas stuff going up all around!
So it's time to tell the rest of the story. Yes you could call me crazy, but then I'm the father of 4 daughters and crazy kind of comes with the territory. I have been known to put up a light or two for Christmas to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. Just as he was a light unto the world I like to try and brighten up the little dark space that we live in. Now what started as just a few strings up so we could find the doorway in the winter has turned into almost 200 things that get plugged in. It really started to grow when I started making the painted wooden decorations about 10 years ago. I liked them because you could see them in the day but needed some lights around them to see at night, so I started putting up more lights Melia working on the tomato cage xmas trees.

Now I spend around 60 hours putting up the decorations with the girls significant contributions generally involve them telling me I don't have enough stuff up and that more is needed. They all plan these lets put up the lights day but it is rather slow and tedious work especially in the beginning. They don't like that the lights must go a certain way in order to connect everything and make it all work. They will put in a couple of hours after that it's me putting them up and then trying to hold them off on turning them all on.
Our motto for proper lighting is to keeping putting them up until a circuit breaker pops from the power overload, then I switch a few of them onto another breaker and keep going forward. We have to remember to do all the household chores like cleaning before the lights come on for the night or else cleaner will overload the system.




I built a new deck along the side of the house with a little help from the boys and covered it so the grandkids and I could sit out there and look at the lights no matter what the weather. Peyton enjoys playing there and so far the girls like to be out there as well but their parents don't let me take them out there for too long. I might have to put in a big overhead heater so I can get them out there for longer, of course I might have trouble finding enough power to keep it working. The rest of the household goes out to look at the lights for a couple of minutes, me I sit out there for quite awhile which is why it takes me 100 hours to do 60 hours of work.
Oh I don't want to forget my darling wife's contribution she constantly requests more moving lights and wants more lights all over the place, maybe one of these days I will be able to make her say that it's all good, until then I keep working at it.



Peyton -I'm sure was a big help with the deck!

1 comment:

track coach and adorable wife said...

Dad, I am so excited you wrote a post, and fyi, we tried to plan more days to help you but you told us not to because you just needed time to go slow and think!