Friday, April 10, 2009

spring break part 1

Doug and I started off spring break by working Friday and Sat. at the WIAA state dance & drill. This one of my favorite WIAA events. Though I don't think this years crop of talent was as good as last year it was still fun. Melia joined Doug and I over in Yakima. She worked as a "chip runner". At Dance and drill they have very little time from the end of one performace to the start of the next. So she grabs the photogs chips ( from camera's) and runs them to the computer guys for uploading to onsite computers. Then she blots back to her seat on the floor before the next dance. She confessed this was easier a couple years ago than it is now for her.
We all left Yakima around 11pm Sat night and headed home .We had to go Snoqualime because of snow on White. Got home around 2am. Then Doug and I got up and left for a couple relaxing days at the beach.

We were on the road by 1pm . Headed to our favorite beach spot...Cannon beach. We had an Ocean front view room. I was looking forward to putting my feet up, reading , and listening to the ocean's soothing sounds relax me. ( side note Yearbook had been in final deadline..so I was due for a little relaxation)
The beach did not disappoint. Doug and I had a great time!!! The weather was clouds and even some sun till tues when we left.
There was even a pretty low tide on Monday which gave us a chance to explore the rocks around Haystack rock. We saw alot of star fish. they were pretty cool. There are some new rules which limited some of the rock climbing right by Haystack.



I still had a little work to do on the yearbook...but doing it with the sight and sound of the ocean is definitely the best
Doug watched some movies while I worked. We did the usual Seaside shopping and ate at "Pig N Pancake". It was so nice, I really didn't want it to end.
We got up Tues morning and headed east towards Portland. Weather was very overcast not any real rain in Portland. We had decided to try the scenic HWY that led to about 6 waterfalls.
We started up at a very unique building sat up on a hill over looking the Columbia river. I always wondered what it was. Turns out it's a view point and rest over place. Built, so that back at the turn of the century, they would have a rest stop for the women going down the river , looking at falls etc. The view is really something.

We then headed to the first waterfall on the road. It was really powerful. We both got pretty soak.

We followed the road to 4 or 5 more really big waterfalls. They all had a lot of volume. It was just really cool. Doug had fun climbing as close and he could. I was not quite so adventurous.

Our last stop before heading to the airport to pick up Alesha was Multnomah Falls. Kind of the granddaddy of them all.
































3 comments:

Clarissa said...

I absolutely love waterfalls! Doug and I were talking about a vacation somewhere far away. But maybe we should just stay here and enjoy the beauty of our own state!

Alesha said...

Those waterfalls look beautiful!!! Next time I come home we should drive down to them.

Anonymous said...

Clarissa,
I have abook all about waterfalls in the pacific northwest. I'll let you borrow it if you like.
Alesha ...Not sure by summer if they will look as good. But, we can try. Spring has the best run off.