Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Be careful what you ask for-you might get it!

Normally my summer work is pretty predictable. I work alot the end of June and first couple weeks of July. Then it starts to wind down as the month of July rolls on. Then comes to a screeching halt by the end of July. Aug. I'm as free as a bird. ( or as free as a bird with children and grandchildren).
This summer work-did not start off with the usual fury of the past. As the first week of July started I was getting a little worried. Thrilled at all the time off I had to help Erica with Parker... but there were bills to pay, mouths to feed! I put a call into my boss to express my want for work. A call I have lived to regret..sort of.
I have worked soooo much since then. All my dreams of playing with the grandkids and holding newborns have only appeared in bits and pieces among my heavy load of work!!!
Though any other summer and I probably won't have minded the constant 7am to 10pm grind. Yes my work days are long!
I have gotten to go to U of W and shoot baseball, spend the hottest days of the summer so far there and at a very nice private golf course in Belleuve. Golf would not rank as the most exciting thing I shoot.

One of the perks of the regional babe ruth baseball at U of W was watching the "Blue Angles" practice for Seafair. The first day I was there they were buzzing over us all day! The next day it was just in the morning.

Then the last couple of weeks have included huge water events. First I got to attend the "US Open Swim". There was a couple Olympic swimmers there. And some who should have been in Beijing. It was a best of the best in swimming. Many swimmers were there from other countries.( the girls were doing some of the boothing and did not enjoy trying to understand some of them). It was five long but, kind of fun days. ( did get to take one day off).
Most exciting was watching new world records being set! I was right there shooting when Jessica Hardy set the new world record in the "100m breaststroke". The place went crazy.

I also got to witness the finalists in the men's 200m IM make a statement about all the fuss over the banning of the suits that help swimmers swim faster, by all making a pact to wear only their speedo's. The place was packed and everyone went wild, shouting, clapping and giving them a standing ovation even before the race started!
Well this week I'm finishing up the Jr. National swim at the Aquatics center in Federal Way.

After that I will finally have a week or so off. Hopefully I can squeeze in all the stuff I had wanted to do earlier, spend time with Alesha before she heads back to the Y, have a getaway with my hubby, and hold those babies and play with the other 3.
Next summer I'll have to be a little more careful what I ask for as I've learned this summer- I just may get it!

No comments: