Friday, August 14, 2009

Panic at the Pool

I now know that in a real emergency I do not want Melia and Alesha with me. The announcement of a THREAT (bomb to be exact) at the King County Aquatics center in Federal Way ,where Alesha, Melia and myself were working caused the two to Panic!!! Melia exclaimed " that she did not want to die" and Alesha frantically went running off to find me by the pool to see if I was leaving. As if they hadn't told all of us down stairs that we must leave immediately! I was grabbing my camera gear when a man ushered me outside very quickly stating there had been a threat and I was slowing him down. Guess it was his job to clear the building.
After I was rushed out of the room, I reconnected with Alesha and Melia outside in front of the building.


In their PANIC!! they had forgotten to grab the key to the car. They did get the cash box which is a plus. They both seemed a little shaken. Police were everywhere. People were being ushered across the street and away from the building. Alesha decided that maybe she could get one of the officers to let her back in for the car key. Some how making it sound like we needed the key to the cash box sounded more urgent to her. But, her attempt failed. Got to give her credit for walking back towards the building and approaching a police officer though. Gutsy.
I could only imagine how long they would keep us outside. It was a bit sunny at the time. The hill side across from the pool was covered with people all waiting like us. Visions of going to the mall, or eating at Olive garden slowly evaporated as we found a nice rock to sit on.

Melia felt really bad about forgetting to grab the key, but, she mostly just keep saying how she couldn't believe she forgot her book!!! Would have like to see Alesha go back and ask them to let her in to get her distressed sisters' book!!!!
Anyway.... More police came. They would shout across the road to all us little people with a bull horn. At first they said it was going to be a very long wait. We called lots of people and were even trying to get someone to bring us a key. Alesha thought we should call AAA for their roadside service. I explained they could get us into the car...but not provide a new key.
After about an hour they called all the life guards together. You start wondering...did they call in the threat to get out of work????. But, no, they had to go back inside and secure the "pool" before they would let anyone else in. Who knew lifeguards had so much power. Once they felt the " pool " was guarded and safe, they let the rest of us back in.
It was a really really strange day!!! Glad it ended with us all in one piece!! HA HA

2 comments:

BJ Barnes said...

Nothing like a crazy day to stir things up and change pace a bit! :)

Grace Marie said...

Now that sounds a bit intense. I was always afraid of a lock down at school but have never been in one or had my kids involved in one.
Still have a few years to go!