Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stupid is as stupid does.

Tuesday July 27- After dropping Dee Dee off at the Rapid City airport I headed out on my own to return the 1400 miles back to Ony.  I like to view myself as the frontier scout/explorer making my way through the country side free as bird, of course I don't think they had to call and check in to let someone know that they were still alive.
While on this solo adventure I got to spend a little time with Stupid and Stupider and possibly become stupidest. 
While enjoying my trip through the Wyoming country side I saw a historic site marker for Ft. Phil Kearny.  I remembered reading about the Fort but couldn't recall why I knew the name so I stopped in.  It was from this Fort that the Fetterman massacre.  Captain William Fetterman who arrogantly believed that he could destroy the entire Sioux nation with 90 men foolishly got his chance to make good on his statement.  Despite the warnings and advice from Jim Bridger that fighting Indians was different than fighting the Civil War and the deliberate disobeying of a direct command, Fetterman pursued the decoys that were led by Crazy Horse and got all of his men killed.
From there I zipped up to the Little Big Horn battlefield to go over the ground where someone (George Custer) managed to be even more stupid and get almost 3 times as many men all killed.  To a history buff like myself this was a great day.  It is not every day that I get to walk the ground and see the terrain very similiar to the way two of the dumbest commanders in U.S. history did.
I had stayed at the  battlefield site until it got to dark to take anymore pictures and they also announced that they were closing.  I wanted to get further down the road until stopping for the night so pushed on up to Billings but felt pretty good and not that hungry so headed for the next small town.  Originally I had hoped to get to Bozeman but the road sign said it was 103 miles away and I was so facinated with the landscape that I wanted to be able to see it during the day.  Well in the next town they didn't have any place good to eat so I keep driving. A couple of times I did actually stop and check on hotels but one I felt was to expensive for that hotel so on I went.  I had seen lighting and thunder showers way up ahead of me, now I was in to them.  I tried Livingston but it was the gateway to Yellowstone and the guy in front of me got the last room, so back to the car I went.  I finally made it to Bozeman and found a room then got to McDonalds 2 minutes before they closed.  I didn't get the food I wanted, nor a room with internet to post the days adventure so I too joined the ranks of the dumb.  I wonder if I will get something named after me now like the other two dummies did?

1 comment:

track coach and adorable wife said...

Hey, you got a grandson named after you! Happy!